Among the oldest buildings in Woodbridge, the Aaron Dunn house was constructed at the turn of the eighteenth century. Although the home bears the name of one of its original owners, it was called home by many before him. It is believed to have been built as a manse for the first minister of the First Presbyterian Church, Archibald Riddell. The home, however, was not completed, as the minister’s wife did not like it much. It was later completed by the town and another minister by the name of Sheppard moved into the home in 1697. Later, a Revolutionary War soldier, Aaron Dunn, called the structure home. Also a one time resident was James Bloodgood, a local tanner who owned thirteen acres of property outside of the “Kirk Green.” It is thought that much of this property consisted of the area between Lewis Street and Ridgedale Avenue. The home contains many original features, including four fire places, and two sets of stairways to the second floor and the attic. Many of the doors are believed to be original to the home, fashioned in “Christian style” with a cross shape between the door panels and fastened with “H” and “L” hinges. It is one of the best examples of early Colonial architecture still standing in Woodbridge. Today, it is a private residence.
The First Walking Tour of Woodbridge. A walking tour of historic sites in Woodbridge
Map of Historic Area #1